The City of Redding Volunteer Program was started in 1988. For the first four years, volunteers were placed only with the Redding Police Department. The program went "City wide" in 1992. Volunteers with valuable skills, knowledge or interests assist paid staff in completing or maintaining projects and programs.
The City of Redding Volunteer Services Division exists as a clearing house for citizen participation in City projects. It provides a centralized liaison between volunteers and staff, ensuring uniform and consistent policy for recruiting, pre-screening, and placing volunteers. The Division provides on-going training for volunteers to enhance their knowledge of City government and law enforcement. It maintains all records and matches volunteers to City-related jobs and provides information on ways volunteers can serve the City and community.
The following is a list of some volunteer activities:
- Abandoned Vehicle Abatement - data entry, filing.
- Court Liaison - case preparation, processing traffic citations.
- Warrants - preparing notice letters to wanted individuals, records, research.
- Ride Along Program - provides assistance in scheduling of ride-alongs, maintaining ride along files.
- Vehicles - assists in inspecting the vehicles for defects, needed service, and transports vehicles to and from the shop.
- Traffic Citations - assists in completing amendments to citations, separates citation copies and attaches necessary teletypes in preparation for submitting to court.
- Records - compile statistics, assists in data entry, filing and preparing reports for imaging.
- Public Relations - conduct departmental tours for interested community groups, work at information booths in the Mall or annual County Fair.
- Crime Prevention - pin-mapping crimes, maintenance of Neighborhood Watch Groups files.
- Investigations - missing persons follow-up, maintenance of gang file records, maintenance of financial crimes information, pawned property follow-up, maintaining suspect mug shots.
- Graffiti Eradication - assist with removal of unsightly graffiti throughout the city.
For more information on the City of Redding Volunteer Program, contact:
Coordinator of Volunteers